Opened 9 years ago

Closed 6 years ago

#969 closed defect (wontfix)

non-intuitive bindctl configuration for Auth/listen_on

Reported by: jreed Owned by:
Priority: low Milestone: Remaining BIND10 tickets
Component: ~bind-ctl (obsolete) Version: bind10-old
Keywords: Cc:
CVSS Scoring: Parent Tickets:
Sensitive: no Defect Severity: N/A
Sub-Project: DNS Feature Depending on Ticket:
Estimated Difficulty: 0.0 Add Hours to Ticket: 0
Total Hours: 0 Internal?: no


This is a few problems.

I want to be able to just change one default. Testing as non-root. Defaults have port 53 for :: and For testing, I change one to 5300, but commit fails since the other "default" port 53 still does not work:

> config set Auth/listen_on[0]/port 5300
> config commit
Setting listen addresses:
Initialize TCP server at :::5300
Initialize UDP server at :::5300
Initialize TCP server at
Unable to set new address: Failed to initialize network servers: Permission denied
[b10-auth] error: Server configuration failed: Failed to initialize network servers: Permission denied
Error: Server configuration failed: Failed to initialize network servers: Permission denied
Configuration not committed

It seems like if I change one configuration, then that one configuration should be used.

Second problem (starting with my custom config removed so just defaults again):

> config remove Auth/listen_on[0]
> config diff
{'Auth': {'listen_on': [{'port': 53, 'address': ''}]}}
> config set Auth/listen_on[1]/port 5300
> config diff
{'Auth': {'listen_on[1]': {'port': 5300}, 'listen_on': [{'port': 53, 'address': ''}]}}
> config commit
Error: Error in config validation: Unknown item listen_on[1]
Configuration not committed

I did not immediately realize that listen_on[1] became listen_on[0]

Comments from jabber follow:

(09:55:07) vorner: jreed: actually, it created new item called listen_on[0], which is a dict and didn't touch the list in listen_on. And yes, you confused the poor tool.

(09:55:56) jelte: well, in this specific case it's not not intuitive, it's plain buggy handling that command for an element that doesn't exist


Change History (3)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by shane

  • Milestone changed from New Tasks to Year 3 Task Backlog

comment:2 Changed 6 years ago by tomek

  • Milestone set to Remaining BIND10 tickets

comment:3 Changed 6 years ago by tomek

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Version set to old-bind10

This issue is related to bind10 code that is no longer part of Kea.

If you are interested in BIND10/Bundy framework or its DNS components,
please check

Closing ticket.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.