Opened 5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago

Last modified 5 years ago

#3714 closed defect (invalid)

kea6 unable to assign address after #3604

Reported by: wlodekwencel Owned by:
Priority: very high Milestone: Kea0.9.1beta
Component: dhcp6 Version: git
Keywords: Cc:
CVSS Scoring: Parent Tickets:
Sensitive: no Defect Severity: N/A
Sub-Project: DHCP Feature Depending on Ticket:
Estimated Difficulty: 0 Add Hours to Ticket: 0
Total Hours: 0 Internal?: no


With correct subnet configuration Kea6 is unable to assign any addresses. In Advertise or Reply always sending message in Status Code option: "Sorry, no subnet available."

2015-02-15 08:48:02.857 WARN  [kea-dhcp6.dhcp6/25068] DHCP6_SUBNET_SELECTION_FAILED failed to select a subnet for incoming packet, src=fe80::800:27ff:fe00:1 type=SOLICIT
2015-02-15 08:48:02.857 DEBUG [kea-dhcp6.dhcp6/25068] DHCP6_RESPONSE_DATA responding with packet type 2 data is localAddr=[ff02::1:2]:547 remoteAddr=[fe80::800:27ff:fe00:1]:546
msgtype=2, transid=0x55fa63
type=1, len=14: 00:01:00:01:54:e0:cd:de:0a:00:27:00:00:01
type=2, len=14: 00:01:00:01:1b:50:12:8d:08:00:27:d5:11:3b
type=3(IA_NA) iaid=2690, t1=0, t2=0 1 sub-options:
  type=13, len=29, data fields:
    #0 2 ( uint16 ) 
    #1 Sorry, no subnet available. ( string ) 

Bug occurred after merging #3604 and only in dhcp6.

Note that error message is "Sorry, no subnet available." not "Sorry, no address could be allocated." my conclusion is that after changing way of configuring ethernet interface kea6 is unable to determine subnets.


Change History (3)

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by marcin

This bug description is insufficient to reproduce the problem. I tried to run the Kea6 server based on the code from #3604 and I didn't see the issue. Please provide the configuration file, the whole log file and packet capture if possible.

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by marcin

  • Resolution set to invalid
  • Status changed from new to closed

We have discussed this with wlodek on jabber. Wlodek had been using the following config:


The subnet configuration lacks any parameter that would allow for selecting this subnet for the client, e.g. relay address, interface, interface id etc. Hence, the subnet couldn't be selected and it is unrelated to the #3604. It is a misconfiguration. After adding the following:

"interface": "eth2"

to the subnet definition, the server correctly responded. So I close the ticket as it is not an issue.

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by wlodekwencel

  • Milestone changed from Kea-proposed to Kea0.9.1beta
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.