Opened 8 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

Last modified 7 years ago

#2071 closed defect (fixed)

Add b10- prefix to all BIND10 libraries

Reported by: jreed Owned by: muks
Priority: high Milestone: Sprint-20120807
Component: build system Version:
Keywords: Cc:
CVSS Scoring: Parent Tickets:
Sensitive: no Defect Severity: High
Sub-Project: Core Feature Depending on Ticket:
Estimated Difficulty: 4 Add Hours to Ticket: 0
Total Hours: 0 Internal?: no

Description

libutil is a common library name. It is provided by glibc and NetBSD (System Utilities Library) and FreeBSD for example.

Let's not use a common name.

It is a problem when the library versioning matches up (so.1 on Linux or so.8 on FreeBSD for example).

I suggest we don't just move it into a specific bind10 or isc directory but also rename it. Maybe libb10util.so.

Subtickets

Change History (17)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by jreed

  • Milestone changed from New Tasks to Next-Sprint-Proposed

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by jinmei

If possible, I'd like to clarify organization of various libraries and dependencies
between them using this opportunity.

comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by shane

  • Estimated Difficulty changed from 0 to 4

comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by jreed

  • Milestone set to Next-Sprint-Proposed

comment:5 Changed 8 years ago by jelte

  • Milestone changed from Next-Sprint-Proposed to Sprint-20120731

comment:6 Changed 7 years ago by jreed

Also see #2134.

comment:7 Changed 7 years ago by jelte

  • Milestone changed from Sprint-20120731 to Sprint-20120807

comment:8 Changed 7 years ago by muks

  • Owner set to muks
  • Status changed from new to assigned

Picking.

comment:9 follow-up: Changed 7 years ago by jreed

trac2071 branch in git was a start of the renaming to libb10util but I stopped as I thought I was told it needed to be all libraries done at same time.

comment:10 in reply to: ↑ 9 Changed 7 years ago by muks

Replying to jreed:

trac2071 branch in git was a start of the renaming to libb10util but I stopped as I thought I was told it needed to be all libraries done at same time.

I just noticed this comment now. I have already fixed this bug in a local branch, so I'll push it to the trac2071_2 branch. If you work on a bug, assign it to yourself before you start as it avoids duplicated effort.

comment:11 Changed 7 years ago by muks

  • Owner changed from muks to UnAssigned
  • Status changed from assigned to reviewing
  • Some libraries with '_' in them have been renamed to contain '-' instead, as it looks more consistent (libserver_common and libutil_io)
  • Python libraries installed in ${LIBDIR}/python{x.y}/site_packages/ are untouched.

Up for review.

comment:12 Changed 7 years ago by muks

  • Summary changed from rename libutil to Add b10- prefix to all BIND10 libraries

comment:13 Changed 7 years ago by jelte

  • Owner changed from UnAssigned to jelte

comment:14 Changed 7 years ago by jelte

  • Owner changed from jelte to muks

That looks ok, and at least on my system it does not cause any problems :)

comment:15 Changed 7 years ago by muks

An issue in dns++.pc.in has been fixed. I'm going to add the following ChangeLog entry too:

457.    [build]*        muks
        BIND 10 library names now have a "b10-" prefix. This is to avoid
        clashes with other similarly named libraries on the system.
        (Trac #2071, git ac20a00c28069804edc0a36050995df52f601efb)

comment:16 Changed 7 years ago by muks

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from reviewing to closed

Merged to master in commit ac20a00c28069804edc0a36050995df52f601efb:

* 6841195 [2071] Add b10- prefix inside pkg-config file
* ce3f97e Add b10 prefix to libperfdhcp++.la
* 81fac6a [2071] Add b10 prefix to libutil_io.la (and s/_/-/)
* f706565 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libpydnspp.la
* 4af209e [2071] Add b10 prefix to libdnsacl.la
* a69852a [2071] Add b10 prefix to libstatistics.la
* 9528b55 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libdhcp++.la
* 596f071 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libserver_common.la (and s/_/-/)
* bb894ca [2071] Add b10 prefix to libdatasrc.la
* cd33333 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libtestutils.la
* 4d130ee [2071] Add b10 prefix to libresolve.la
* 3261044 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libcache.la
* 16fa1ec [2071] Add b10 prefix to libnsas.la
* d50a3d3 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libasiodns.la
* 9dc4993 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libasiolink.la
* 8759015 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libbench.la
* c2d1823 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libxfr.la
* 76232f7 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libacl.la
* 04ab388 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libcfgclient.la
* f411d8c [2071] Add b10 prefix to libcc.la
* 7b240f1 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libdns++.la
* b5974ee [2071] Add b10 prefix to libcryptolink.la
* 7b2491e [2071] Add b10 prefix to liblog.la
* edb116c [2071] Add b10 prefix to libutil.la
* a9cbbc2 [2071] Add b10 prefix to libexceptions.la

Resolving bug as fixed. Thank you for the review Jelte.

comment:17 Changed 7 years ago by muks

  • Component changed from Unclassified to build system
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.