Opened 10 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

#150 closed defect (wontfix)

support for multiple strings in one TXT record

Reported by: jreed Owned by: UnAssigned
Priority: medium Milestone:
Component: libdns++ Version:
Keywords: Cc:
CVSS Scoring: Parent Tickets:
Sensitive: no Defect Severity: High
Sub-Project: DNS Feature Depending on Ticket:
Estimated Difficulty: 0.0 Add Hours to Ticket:
Total Hours: Internal?: no

Description

I used xfrin to fetch some records. The BIND 9 master returns:

"this" "is" "another" "test"

The b10-auth returns:

"this\" \"is\" \"another\" \"test"

I don't know if the problem was in the xfrin or BIND 10 libdns.

Subtickets

Change History (13)

comment:1 in reply to: ↑ description Changed 10 years ago by jinmei

Replying to jreed:

I used xfrin to fetch some records. The BIND 9 master returns:

"this" "is" "another" "test"

The b10-auth returns:

"this\" \"is\" \"another\" \"test"

I don't know if the problem was in the xfrin or BIND 10 libdns.

Currently the libdns doesn't support multiple character strings for TXT RDATA in the "from string" constructor. (the "from wire" constructor handles this format). I suspect this is the primary reason for this problem.

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by jelte

  • Summary changed from escaping of TXT quotes to support for multiple strings in one TXT record

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by shane

  • Component changed from Unclassified to DNSPacket API
  • Milestone set to feature backlog item
  • Owner set to jinmei
  • Priority changed from major to minor

comment:4 Changed 10 years ago by larissas

adding a note that this is also item #98 from the Beijing face to face meeting

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by jinmei

  • billable set to 0
  • Internal? unset
  • Owner changed from jinmei to UnAssigned
  • Status changed from new to assigned

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by stephen

  • Milestone feature backlog item deleted

Milestone feature backlog item deleted

comment:7 Changed 9 years ago by shane

  • Defect Severity set to Medium
  • Milestone set to New Tasks
  • Sub-Project set to DNS

comment:8 Changed 9 years ago by shane

  • Milestone New Tasks deleted

comment:9 follow-up: Changed 8 years ago by shane

  • Defect Severity changed from Medium to High
  • Priority changed from minor to major

We pull the TXT record out of the buffer we receive, so this should not be an API problem. My suspicion is that it is because of how we store the records in the SQLite database; a schema problem.

comment:10 in reply to: ↑ 9 Changed 8 years ago by jinmei

Replying to shane:

We pull the TXT record out of the buffer we receive, so this should not be an API problem. My suspicion is that it is because of how we store the records in the SQLite database; a schema problem.

libdns++ still has a problem of parsing multi-string TXT RDATA, but
I believe this particular problem will be solved with migration to the
new data source API (or perhaps even with the current data source
implementation).

comment:11 Changed 8 years ago by shane

Okay, I'm going to leave this one open, as we will need this parsing ability when we replace our current loader (for example).

comment:12 Changed 7 years ago by jinmei

should be resolved with generic parser. recording it in #2035 and closing.

comment:13 Changed 7 years ago by jinmei

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from assigned to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.